Welcome

I love creating things. My craft background is in upholstery and needlework and I was a prolific, but average, artist at one stage. Texture and colour have always fascinated me, so it seems natural that these inspirations and skills all combine into creating collector bears in various tone and cloth variations. Each one takes about two days to make as I do not use a sewing machine and every stitch is done by hand.


Tuesday 13 March 2012

Brahms the Bear - Work in Progress

Poor Brahms. He's armless, but damn cute anyway. He's named after the Brahms Lullaby song built into the Sankyo Musical Box that I'm using. You can see it in the second picture. It's going to be surgically inserted into his back.

It's the first time I've tried using one of these, so a bit of an experiment. Thankfully the unit isn't too big and just needs to be placed within the filling, with the key sticking out of the back seam. It only needs a couple of turns and then goes on and on and on.... [I know they're supposed to do that, but it really does need an 'Off' switch!]

I am loving this fabric. It's 20mm curly mohair in cream with a brown backing, and it's incredibly soft. It feels great to work with. The cashmere plush paw pad material is pretty soft too - it's dense, straight and woven into a backing fabric, as opposed to the usual wool felt that we all used to use at school! It's nicer to hand-sew and I will use it more in the future. Basically, this bear is LUSH.

No comments:

Post a Comment